Thursday, January 20, 2005

Another constructive evening

I've had another constructive evening working on the WestiAmp project. I've dismantled the base of the gramophone cabinet, and removed the speaker grille and speaker.

The speaker looked old and naff; the base of the cone was missing and it was covered in dust. Out of curiosity I hooked it up to one of my stereos (a cheap but cheerful NZ$150 Warehouse special) to test it, & it sounds every bit as bad as it looks. Quiet, crackly and horrid. Looks like I'd better start reading up about speakers ...

I've also started thinking about software; at this stage I'm considering using speech synthesis to provide feedback to the user, and the two right-most knobs on the front to skip between playlists and tracks.

The further I get into this project, the more fun it becomes (despite having bleeding cuts on both my hands from removing tacks from the grille with a pair of pliers).

No comments:

 
No Clean Feed - Stop Internet Censorship in Australia