Friday, February 01, 2008

Amplifier arrived

The valve amplifier kit arrived yesterday; it looks to be in perfect condition. Today I'm off to the hardware store to buy some varnish and sandpaper, then to the electronics store to buy a speaker. Then the cleanup and assembly can begin.

At this point I'm looking to modularise it somewhat, & actually have a standalone mini-PC or laptop within the case, hooked up to the amp through a plug & socket panel internally. That'll make it easier to develop, dramatically reduce the amount of woodworking needed, and make ongoing upgrades or repairs painless as well.

One complication is that as it's mains powered, I'll need to get it certified by an electrical engineer before I can leave it running - else if it catches fire & burns the house down, our insurance won't pay out. Still, it's a wise precaution as it's my first ever mains-powered circuit.

No comments:

 
No Clean Feed - Stop Internet Censorship in Australia