Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Jaycar Fiasco

As suggested, I emailed Jaycar to ask whether they sell the resistors I need individually, so I don't have to buy in bulk from a wholesale supplier. The result was an absolutely hysterical exchange of non-information, which I summarised in my final email (with names changed to protect the innocent monkeys):
Hi,

I emailed your store three days ago, to inquire about purchasing some resistors. I wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm writing to inquire whether I can buy the following products
> from Jaycar:
>
> 1 x 300ohm 3W metal-oxide resistor
> 1 x 1k5ohm 1W metal-oxide resistor
> 1 x 68k 0.5W carbon-film resistor
>
> If so, can I order them for pick-up at your store on McIntyre
> Road, Sunshine, Melbourne VIC?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Yours,
> Duncan Bayne

Today, I received an email reply from a staff member called John Adams - whose email address bore the signature of Ben Franklin, presumably a different staff member. It read:

> Victora Store - 03-9547-1022
>
> Give them a ring and see if they have them in stock to save you the
> trip if they need to order them from us for you
>
> Ben Franklin - www.jaycar.com.au - 1800-022-888 -
> techstore@jaycar.com.au

I called the number, which was for your Springvale branch, not the McIntyre Road branch as I had requested. The staff there informed me that they cannot obtain any of the components I originally requested! At this point I started to doubt that John (or Ben?) had actually spent any time reading my email before responding.

So I sent him an email, only to get the following response (typo included):

> Ben Franklin is no longer in the employ of jaycar electronics,
> Forward all relvant emails to techstore@jaycar.com.au

Apparently the poor chap has either resigned or been fired in the half hour or so since he sent me that email.

So, could someone from your company - preferably someone who's planning to remain an employee for at least half an hour after replying - *please* answer the questions in my email, which are:

- can I buy the resistors I listed?
- if so, can they be ordered into stock at the *McIntyre Road* branch for me to pick them up?

Thanks for your time, & I look forwards to your reply.

Yours,
Duncan Bayne

I expected there'd be another three-day turnaround, so got stuck into some coding. Lo and behold, a reply arrived in a matter of minutes:
Hi there
You'll need to contact the store directly.

So apparently the answer to my question "could someone ... *please* answer the questions in my email" is - to paraphrase - "no, sod off." So I will sod off, & will most certainly never spend money in a Jaycar store again ... unless I'm in need of some Pythonesque light entertainment :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had the same sort of experience with Dick Smith Electronics (or is that Dick Smith TVs, Phones and Cameras?) except that it was done face to face. They ended up giving me a free kit worth about $80 as an apology (voluntarily - I didn't even have to shout at them for their incompentence!) Jaycar have always been pretty good to me, though I must say that they ignored my email request as to the manufacturer of their resistors.

Duncan Bayne said...

You'd think I'd learn from experience, but apparently not.

So far it's taken Jaycar, and their (presumed) supplier Electus Distribution 18 days to fail to tell me what the capacitance range is on a trimcap that's part of a kit stocked by Jayar.

Anonymous said...

Three fucking resistors? Are you serious?? You are a moron.

 
No Clean Feed - Stop Internet Censorship in Australia